Sunday, November 4, 2012

Why I Chose A Hospital Birth

There once was a man whose city was flooding after a terrible storm.  Authorities had warned people to evacuate, but the man decided to stay, trusting that God would protect him. The waters kept rising, so the man climbed up to his rooftop.  A boat came by, and rescuers told the man to get in.  "No thanks," he said. "My God is so powerful. He will save me!"  So the boat went on its way, and the waters rose.  Awhile later, another rescue boat came by.  When offered a ride, the man replied, "No thanks. I'm praying to God, and He will save me." So the boat journeyed on.  Soon after, a helicopter flew over the man's house, and the pilot dropped the ladder for the man to get in.  The man said, "No thank you! I have faith that God will protect me."  So the helicopter reluctantly left.  The flood waters eventually rose to the rooftops. The man was swept away and drowned.  When he got to heaven, he said, "God, I served you faithfully throughout my life.  I trusted that you would save me in the storm.  Why didn't you?"  God replied, "Son, I gave you a warning.  I sent two boats and a helicopter.  What more did you expect?"

* * * * *

When I was deciding what kind of birth experience I wanted, a home birth intrigued me.  For one, it meant that I would be forced to avoid pain medication, which I was hoping to do anyway.  Second, it meant that I would be in the comfort of my own home instead of a hospital bed.  It also meant less pressure to make quick decisions about vaccinating my baby.  It seemed appealing in some ways.  But one question constantly nagged at me...

What if?

What if there is an emergency? What if the birth doesn't go smoothly? What if my baby has complications and needs immediate medical attention? Although there were no indicators of any such things, I couldn't help but think about it.  As a Christian, I thought, "I can trust God.  He will protect me and my baby."  But then this modern day parable came to mind.  Perhaps God would have allowed a home birth to go perfectly for me.  But maybe not.  Maybe there would be problems.  I imagined myself in this fictional man's shoes, standing before God.  "Why didn't you save me?" And I imagined God replying, "My child, you have a great doctor and great insurance.  You have wonderful hospitals with amazing medical technology.  What more did you expect?" 

I am by no means saying that this is how God would actually reply.  I have no idea.  But I couldn't shake this parable from my mind.  Being that this would be my first delivery, I decided to deliver in a hospital with a NICU.  Just in case.  And it worked out great for us.  It might not be right for everybody, and that's okay.  I'm not saying that I'll never give birth at home.  It just wasn't meant for me this time.  

Ultimately, my advice is this: if you're a pregnant mother, consider all of your options before making a decision.  Pray, pray, pray about it.  Talk to other people about their different experiences.  You are the only person who knows what is best for you and your baby.  Don't let anyone pressure you one way or another.  You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment