Sunday, November 25, 2012

What's In A Name?

Everlyn.

So many people ask us how we came up with this name.  A few years ago, Chris and I went on World Vision's website to sponsor a child together.  The girl we chose was named Everlyn.  She was so beautiful.  Unfortunately, there was some kind of computer crash issue, and we had to select another child.  We decided right then that we loved the name and would use it if we ever had a daughter of our own.  

We still love the name Everlyn, even though some people make it painfully obvious that they don't.  (This is a typical conversation...)
Stranger: "She's so cute! What's her name?"
Us: "Everlyn."
Stranger: "Evelyn?"
Us: "No, Ev-ER-lyn."
Stranger: "Oh..."

Oh well, she's not their baby :) Anyways, the one thing that strikes me as interesting is that I can not find a meaning for the name Everlyn.  Actually, there isn't much information on it at all.  I have found some sites that say it's a boy name... go figure.  But other than that, nothing.  I have searched high and low.  At first, I was sort of bummed about this.  But then I decided that it's really cool because Evie will get to define her own name! She defines herself! So even though it will probably change as she gets older, here is what I have come up with so far:

Everlyn: inquisitive spirit; one who seeks understanding

I just love that we can adapt this as she grows and changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment