Friday, April 26, 2013

infertile does not mean childless

Sometimes I feel guilty when I use the word "infertility" to describe our situation.  Many people have pointed out to me that, with Evie, it only took us a little over a year and one round of Clomid.  And that is absolutely true.

But that year was really, really hard.  It felt unfair for me to have to wait to be diagnosed while other married couples could choose for themselves when to start a family.  We knew that it was going to be impossible without help, but we still had to wait. And maybe I was (am) naive.  I thought that our attempts at a second baby would be much easier and shorter now that we know what we're dealing with.

Wrong wrong wrong.  But in a way, I at least now feel like I can describe myself as infertile, as if I've "earned" the undesirable title.  Sure, I have a beautiful, amazing, spunky little girl, but that doesn't negate the struggle; it simply makes it worth it.  

I guess what I'm (not) getting at is that just because someone has a baby doesn't make their infertility status go away.  Infertile couples aren't just couples with empty arms because infertility does not mean impossibility, just unlikeliness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment