Sunday, February 24, 2013

Battles



That is one of my favorite quotes of all time.

Because it's so true.

I was thinking again about all the times when I've been in awkward moments similar to the one I blogged about a few days ago. [here] It's hard.  But I know that everyone has baggage, issues, struggles, problems that they keep hidden.

And I had to ask myself - how many times do I speak in such a way that someone else feels passively hurt, misunderstood, or alone? How often do my words leave someone else in the conversation standing silent, wishing for the very thing about which I am complaining? 

It is extremely important to remember that everyone is fighting a battle - or several.  And their battles may not be the same as ours.  In fact, they may be the exact opposite.

The woman dealing with an unwanted pregnancy talking to a woman struggling with infertility.  The man complaining about his job with someone who was just laid off.  The boy complaining about his parents to the girl whose mother passed away when she was young.

There is so much hidden hurt.

So I guess my challenge is this - don't be ashamed of your struggles.  It's okay to be open, to make yourself vulnerable sometimes.  But even more, remember that the person you are talking to may have struggles that are very different from your own.  Be sensitive.  Speak with grace.  Try to understand their battles.

No comments:

Post a Comment