Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On Faith

I have been a Christian for a long time.  I attended a Christian school, two Christian colleges, and have grown up in the church.  So for me to admit that I'm not really sure how faith works is a bit humbling.  But I'm not.

Forgive me if this idea is poorly expressed or if it seems jumbled - that's exactly how it is in my head.

You see, I know that Christians are supposed to have faith in God.  But what does that really mean? I know the basics.  I have faith that God is real, that His Son walked the earth and paid the penalty for my sins on the cross.  I have faith that I will one day be with Him in heaven.  This faith is really more of a belief.  I believe all of those things.  But how does faith play out in my everyday struggles, my everyday walk with Christ?

What I'm getting at is this: does having faith in God mean that I have faith that He can do what I ask of Him, or that He will do what I ask of Him? I truly believe that God can do anything.  He can grant us our requests.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that He will, does it?  In a sense, I feel that having only the "faith that He can" is a shallow, cop-out faith.  At the same time, having "faith that He will" seems like it would set us up for disappointment when God chooses not to do what we had hoped.  I know that God's will for my life plays a big role in this - if my will and His will are in tune with each other, then my faith is surely going to be more in line with His plan.  Yet I still struggle with this, mainly because I don't want to give myself a reason to be disappointed or upset with God.

In the midst of all these thoughts, God brought to mind Hebrews 11:1 (go figure...)
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

To me, this verse seems to call us to a "faith that He will" kind of faith. I think of Abraham in the Old Testament when he was called to sacrifice his only son, Isaac.  He obeyed.  And when Isaac asked him where the sacrificial lamb was for their offering, Abraham simply replied, "God Himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." (Genesis 22).  Notice - God Himself will provide.  Not, "He can provide."

And then I think of my responsibility in all this.  I still have to do my part.  Is it wrong for me to expect God to help me get an A on a test for which I never study? Absolutely.  I can't be lazy.

And then there's Romans 8, which says,

 "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.  And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.  For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified.
What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?"

Maybe I'm reading this passage too much out of context.  I don't know.  But in all of this, I know one thing for certain - God is able to do "more than all we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3).  And He will work out His plan for my life, even as I continue to wrestle with my role.

1 comment: