Saturday, September 8, 2012

On Faith (part 2)

Yep, I'm still wrestling with this issue from my previous post.  I think that's a good thing though. I don't want it to just blow over in my mind.  After all, it's a pretty big topic when it comes to the whole relationship with God thing.

Speaking of that, I feel like God is slowly giving me more clarity on this issue of faith as I seek Him and dig into His Word.  I almost feel as if I've had a revelation of sorts. You know, the kind where you want to run around yelling, "I get it now!" even though nobody else will have a clue what you are trying to say?

Yeah. But I'm going to try to say it anyway... go figure.

Rather than choosing between a "can do" faith and a "will do" faith, I think what God really calls us to do is to have faith in His character.  He doesn't necessarily provide a formula of "always have faith that God will do what I ask of Him."  Sometimes, I believe this is an appropriate approach.  But maybe not always.  Instead, God calls me to have complete faith that He is good and loving, that He has my very best interests in mind.  When things don't work out like I want, or when my "faith that God will do something" is disappointed, God simply asks me to trust His plan.  It's not about trusting His abilities or His willingness to grant my requests.  Instead, I must cling to the truth that He knows what I need more than I do.

I'm not saying this is easy.  In fact, it's actually more scary for me now because it makes me vulnerable. Having faith in God's character means completely letting go of control in my own life.  And for someone like myself, that's extremely difficult.  So I still find myself wrestling, even as I end this discussion on faith.  Now, my wrestling is not one of understanding, but simply one of doing. Of obedience.

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
    were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
-Psalm 139:13-16


In his heart a man plans his course,
    but the Lord determines his steps.
-Proverbs 16:9


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
-Proverbs 3:5-6

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
-Jeremiah 29:11 

No comments:

Post a Comment