Tuesday, March 19, 2013

know you

If there's anything I've discovered recently, it's that I don't really know myself very well.  At all.

I mean, I know my identity is founded in Christ.  I know that I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, and so many other important roles. But I don't know much about the wife, the mother, the daughter that I am.  

And the more I discover, the more I realize how much there is left undiscovered.

I'm sorry if I sound vague or philosophic, but it's been on my mind a lot lately.  I think I'll keep a list of things I am learning about myself.  I may not always post them here, but at least mentally.


-I would really love to travel the world.  I feel like my little corner is getting smaller and smaller.
-I love being outdoors.  As much as I hate bugs, I'd much rather be outside than in.
-I still think of myself as a kid.
-I tend to base my value on how others view me.  I am a people-pleaser, over-achiever to the max.  Not because I want to be, but because I think that others want that from me.
-I am super OCD about a lot of weird things.
-I deal with a great amount of guilt.
-I like to be alone sometimes.  I love the chance to just sit and think.
-I'm terrible with follow-through.  I dream great dreams and make amazing plans, but very few ever become reality.
-I don't think I want any pets.  At least, not for a long time.


What are some ways you've found to know yourself better? 

2 comments:

  1. I am NOT a host, though I always thought I was. I like my time alone. I don't mind being around people (the three dimensionals as Matt and I call them), but I sincerely crave my time alone. I tend to be outgoing only when I'm trying to prove myself to someone. I'm not detail oriented in my personal life, but I'm super detailed in my work. I'm not the person I thought I was, and I'm glad for that. I'm more open with my mistakes than I ever thought I'd be. My family means more than I ever thought they would. I'm a terrible friend. I'm a picky eater. I like to travel, but I think I'd be terrified to do it alone, yet love to be able to tell that story one day. Oh, and I truly miss my sweet wonderful cousin and would love to get to know her as a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too! And in case you haven't noticed, I am absolutely terrible with phone calls... so so sorry. I wish you guys lived closer! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete